Harrigan That's Us!

Greetings to everyone! This site contains an index of all individuals born (or adopted) with the surname Harrigan, along with other information related to the Harrigan name. Take time to browse through the various pages.

Sunday, January 12, 2020

What's New?

January 2020

Greetings to all visitors to the "Harrigan That's Us!" blog, especially those who are visiting for the first time. This site was started about twenty years ago and was intended to provide information for Harrigans and others doing research on this surname. Over the years, my wife and I have retired, downsized, and moved. I no longer keep notes on every Harrigan I encounter (too big a task for a 75-year-old), but I am still interested in genealogy, family history and any other mention of our name. Just recently after a ten-year break, I decided to bring back some of the information that was provided on this site before. I won't try to connect various branches of our family tree, but some of you might. If you see your name in the index and can provide a bit of an update on your family, that would be great. Every Harrigan is an interesting one!
I'll add new names to the index, so keep checking back. If I'm missing someone , I'm willing to add names. Dates of birth and even places of birth might help. If you are a Facebook or Twitter user, you are more than welcome to visit my pages there.

Harrigan Coat of Arms (Burke's General Armory) Posted by Hello


Harrigan Crest Posted by Hello

A number of people have asked about the Joe King books. I have heard from Barbara and Jack O'Connell of Schull Books in Ballydehob, Co. Cork, Ireland. They have copies of the book "Ireland to North America". (This is old information, but you never know).  This book deals specifically with emigration from the Schull area of SW Cork. The families mentioned include the Harrigans, and indeed the front cover shows a photograph of the Harrigan Rocks, situated just off the coast. There is a photograph of Bing Crosby's mother, Catherine Harrigan Crosby, cutting the cake on her 90th birthday at Bing's house. The book sells at $10 plus postage, either by surface or airmail to anywhere worldwide. If you are interested in Irish military history, this is also a source to investigate. Contact the O'Connells at c/o Schull Books, Ballydehob, Co. Cork, Ireland. Tel/Fax (+353)28 37317 I think the best source for his other books will still be libraries and the ISBN numbers are included here.
Just a bit more information on the Joe King books. I have three of them-

The Irish Lumberman-Farmer (1982) Posted by Hello(1)"The Irish Lumberman-Farmer" by Joseph A. King. Published in 1982 (254 pages). As far as I know this is out of print. The Library of Congress data: E184.I6K56 973'.049162
Catalogue Card No 82-6572
ISBN 0-9608500-0-7
This book contains a wealth of family history. It may be available in some libraries.

Ireland to North America (1994) Posted by Hello(2)"Ireland to North America" by Joseph A. King. (124 pages) Published in 1994, privately. Was distributed in US by BookWorld Services, Inc. Sarasota, FL34243, and by Irish Books and Media, Minneapolis, MN 55404-2135. Paperback with picture of Harrigan's Rocks on the cover.
ISBN 0-9608500-8-2 (United States)
Library of Congress Catalog Card No: 94-77047

The Uncounted Irish (1990) Posted by Hello(3)"The Uncounted Irish" by Margaret Fitzgerald and Joseph A. King. (377 pages) Published in 1990 by P.D.Meany Company Inc., Box 534, Port Credit, ON L5G 4M2
ISBN 0-88835-024-4.
Some advice from Fred Harrigan: for people who would like a copy (used) of Joe King's "The Irish Lumberman-Farmer", go to any of the used book locations on the Internet such as ABEBOOKS.com or Alibris.com. He has been able to get three copies so far. It just takes a little patience.
Good luck with your searches.

If you are especially interested in New Brunswick genealogy, please visit the NB GenWeb at New Brunswick Genealogy Links.

As this is a hobby for me, I am usually working when I find time. My wife and I took our first trip to Ireland in September 2002 (See travel journal on this blog). I do appreciate the many contacts I receive via e-mail regarding the site. And it is most gratifying to hear that researchers have been helped.
I wish you all the best. Drop back to the site from time to time and keep in touch.
Wayne Harrigan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home