Harrigan That's Us!

Greetings to everyone! This site contains an index of all individuals born (or adopted) with the surname Harrigan, along with other information related to the Harrigan name. Take time to browse through the various pages.

Thursday, January 02, 2020

"Harrigan That's Me!" - the tune

Harrigan - George M. Cohan, 1907
(Click the link above to hear the tune)
George M. Cohan

Who is the man who will spend
Or will even lend?
Harrigan, that's me!
Who is your friend when you find
That you need a friend?
Harrigan, that's me!
For I'm just as proud of my name you see,
As an emperor, czar or a king, could be
Who is the man helps a manEv'ry time he can?
Harrigan, that's me!

Who is the man never stood
For a gadabout?
Harrigan, that's me!
Who is the man that the town's
Simply mad about?
Harrigan, that's me!
The ladies and babies are fond of me,
I'm fond of them, too, in return you see,
Who is the gent that's deserving
A monument?
Harrigan, that's me!

Chorus:
H a double r i, g a n spells Harrigan
Proud of all the irish blood that's in me,
Divil a man can say a word agin me.
H a double r i, g a n you see,
Is a name that a shame
Never has been connected with
Harrigan, that's me!


"Harrigan That's Me" sheet music Posted by Hello


James Cagney and Joan Leslie in
Yankee Doodle Dandy, Michael Curtiz, 1942, Warner Bros.
https://youtu.be/a_cBhdRQgFI

Harrigan- Ray Bolger, Eddie Hodges, Jane Powell and Jimmy Durante

https://youtu.be/esuVxk_gqX0

6 Comments:

  • At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I was in first grade in 1970, our school put on the show, "George M!" with all the different grades singing different songs. Our grade got, "Harrigan, That's Me!"
    Appropos of nothing, 36 years later, that song popped into my head. I haven't heard of or thoguth of it since I sang it as a child and could only think of the name spelling part of the chorus, so, I Goggled it and found your site where I found them.

    Thanks,

    Marc Allen

     
  • At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WE are four enthousiastic Dutch Barbershoppers, in the process of forming a new Barbershop-quartet. In our search for songs we found "Harrigan"; we are considering to take up this song into our repertoire: it has a charming, light melody and the text has humorous aspects.
    Is there anything to say about the reasons that the author wrote this song with this special name? Is there a special Harrigan-type he has had in mind?
    May be you can help us out. Thanks in advantage.
    Hans Brouwer
    E: jwb120@chello.nl

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Wayne,

    My name is Daniel Harrigan the late Carl Harrigan`s son. I am here in Tokyo, Japan. My father was from Lousiville, Kentucky.
    I have heard my Father hum and sing the " Harrigan that`s me " tune many times. Unfortunately my father passed away from Cancer three years ago on Dec. 16th. He was a warrior and mentor. I miss him very much. Just thought to add a note.
    I can be reached at 828-286-4804 in North Carolina.
    or at danielh@blueridge.net

    Daniel J. Harrigan

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We used to sing it
    S U a double L I VAN Spells Sullivan

    Our family is from Cork and west of Cork too--

    :)

    Sheri Sullivan

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since I am a Harrigan from Brooklyn, NY, I had the honor of singing the tune each St. Patricks day in St. Martin of Tours parochial school in the 50's.
    Still do sing it when I can, -like at my sons wedding in June!
    Thank you.

    Bill Harrigan
    Myersville, Maryalnd

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sang it my whole life Growing up in Philly and also attending the St. Martin of Tours school, this song was everywhere. My name is Tim Harrigan and son of Daniel G. Harrigan. My son is named after my father Daniel.
    Tim Harrigan
    Pompano Beach, Florida

     

Post a Comment

<< Home